Are you eligible for the Extended 30 Hours?

Scallywags Nursery are taking applications for the extended 30 hours for your child. The first step in applying is to check that you are eligible. The eligibility criteria must be met by both parents/carers in a couple, or by the lone parent in a single parent family.

Are you eligible?

Parents or carers of 3 and 4 year olds need to meet the following criteria in order to be eligible:

[1] Earn or expect to earn the equivalent of 16 hours pay at National Minimum Wage or National Living Wage over the next three months.

For 25 years old and over this is £120 a week.

For parents under 25 years old this is £112.80 a week.

[2] This threshold applies whether you are in paid employment, self-employed or on a zero hours contract.

[3] One or both parents can be absent from the work place due to maternity, paternity, shared parental or adoption leave, or on statutory sick pay.

[4] If one parent meets the income criteria above and the other is unable to work because they are disabled, have caring responsibilities or have been assessed as having limited capability to work.

[5] Parents who are newly self-employed and are in a “start-up period” do not need to meet the income criteria for 12 months.

[6] If you are a non-EEA national you must have recourse to public funds – i.e. you must have a National Insurance Number or National Asylum Seeker Number.

[7] Earnings of any one parent must not exceed £100,000 per year.

Just to point out that it will be HMRC who will determine who is eligible for the extended 30 hours. Neither the local authority nor the childcare provider can influence this decision.

How do I apply for the Extended 30 Hours

Children can start the extended hours from the term after they turn three and approval is received from HMRC. If you don’t apply until after the start of term, your child will only be funded for the universal element (up to 15 hours a week) until the next term.

Please go to: to apply.

The earliest you can apply is 12 weeks before your child’s third birthday.

The latest you can apply is when your child reaches compulsory school age.  As with the universal FEL hours, you cannot use these extended hours at the same time as a school reception class.

Remember to apply during the term before your child starts their place in order to secure government funding for the additional hours.

To view the terms of the funded hours contract click here.

If you want to learn more about the Extended 30 Hours we run at Scallywags and the benefits they can bring to your child please call us on 0114 258 2283.